When I see you, my eyes turn into little hearts! (The Internet)
Dearest Broden Bear,
Today you turn One! I just can’t believe it’s been a year since I held you in my arms at Hershey Medical Center and had that unexplainable BIG feeling that your arrival would change me forever, in all the very best ways.
Mommy and Daddy have kept you alive for 12 whole months, 52 weeks, 365 days! This is no easy undertaking now that your adventurous, free-spirited, “I-want-what-I-want”, curious and mobile self has taken over! Just less than 72 hours ago, your determination to climb the steps all by yourself led to a not-so-little tumble, complete with a bloody nose and a call to the doctor. Thankfully, you were back to your happy self very soon and went right back to the steps, not a care in the world.
I knew way back on November 18, 2017 that you would be cute. I knew you would be super special. But I didn’t know how easily and quickly my heart would be captivated by everything Broden:
- Your big blue eyes filled with wonder at anything new.
- Your six-toothed smile.
- The pleasure you expressed when eating pizza with us on Friday.
- The way you scrunch up your face.
- Your strong-willed cry when you don’t want me to leave the room.
- Bubbles of laughter during peek-a-boo!
- Your love of music already.
- The “look” of wariness when you are unsure of something.
- The way you snuggle into my neck.
- Your strong determination to get where and what you want.
- Your look of recognition and then happiness when you see me.
- Watching you giggle when you were playing with your new birthday toy last night!
One year ago, I found myself asking the questions, “What will you be like? What adventures will life bring you and you, in turn, bring to life?” You’ve already had so many adventures:
- rides in your Daddy’s 1985 Bronco
- staying up til midnight on New Year’s Eve (that might not happen again for a bunch of years)
- meeting your great-grandparents
- reading Press Here over and over and over (parents of young ones, buy this book…it’s genious)
- going to your first wedding
- eating a banana popsicle
- dressing up like a pirate with Mommy and Daddy
- putting your toes in the sand in LBI
- kissing your first fish
- loving the swing at the park
- eating Chik-Fila (if Daddy has anything to say about it, this will be a staple in your diet)
- dressing like twinsies with Daddy
- swimming in the pool at Allenberry Resort
- riding in your special bike seat behind Mommy and Daddy
- meeting a goat at Paulus Orchard
- having your first lollipop as Charlie Brown
And it’s not over . There are many many more to come! They have and will continue to range from hazardous to great, terrible to sweet, quiet to joyous, sad to wonderful, hard to exciting. One thing for sure: all of your adventures will be unique, because you, Broden, are one of a kind! But one thing I didn’t realize then was all the adventures you would bring to me! It’s been quite a ride already! Can’t wait for more!
Regardless of the kind of adventure you take, never forget above all that that you are extremely loved. The God who formed you has absolute and unconditional love for you. Nothing you can ever do will make Him love you less or love you more. He loves you just because you are you.
Your creative, smart, kind, hard-working, compassionate mommy and your free-spirited, adventurous, wise, level-headed, willing-to-grow daddy are absolutely head-over-heels in love with you. They will love you no matter what and nothing you can do will ever change that.
You also have grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends who have loved you from the first moment of hearing about you. You will never find yourself in a place that you won’t be loved.
All of our eyes do turn into little hearts when we see you! It’s impossible for it to be otherwise!
Your inner soul anchored in this place of unconditional love will be of immense value for living your outer adventure to the fullest. Never forget that you have that safe place deep down inside that no one can take from you. Live in and from that place!
This year, on the day you turn one, I want to remind you again of the “bunch of verses” that God gave to me right when you were born. They are from God’s heart to mine and mine to yours:
From the day I heard about you, I have not stopped praying and making special requests for you.
I pray that…
you will be filled with a deep and clear understanding of His will for you, that you will have insight into the ways and purposes of God.
you would live how God designed you to live, from a fully-known and fully-loved place and that you would have complete trust in Him. This brings Him the most pleasure.
your life would bear much fruit from all your hard work.
you would have a full, deep and clear knowledge of God.
you will be invigorated and strengthened with all power from God so that you will have much patience and joy.
I thank God because He has made you fit to share in all that is His. He has brought you into His Kingdom, one that is filled with love.
(Colossians 1:9-14 – EJGV – “Esther Joy Goetz Version”)
Broden, how fun that you are ONE! I am so glad that you were born right before Thanksgiving. It’s perfect timing! Having you in my life gives me countless reasons to be thankful! Next November, you will be TWO and we will do this all over again! For now, I am off to your birthday celebration! Happy Birthday to you!!!
With all the love I have in my heart,
(Not sure what you will name me…maybe we will know by this time next year)
P.S. We took a picture of you every day for your first year. CLICK HERE TO WATCH YOUR SLIDE SHOW!